Some people shop on-line for product. I shop more on-line for journal articles. Nerd! That's me. :) And if you made it to this page, you likely are too! I am so impressed and grateful for the boom research has taken in making strides towards evidence-based practice in breast cancer rehabilitation since I began writing my course 'Rehabilitation for the Breast Cancer Patient' in 2012.
Please enjoy this reference list of articles pertaining to common shoulder pathologies and compensatory patterns in breast cancer patients as well as therapeutic interventions:
1. Almeida Rizzi, S.K., Simao Haddad, C.A., Santolia Giron, P. Lucia Pinheiro, T., Pinto Nazatio, A.C., Facina, G., (2016) Winged scapula incidence and upper limb morbidity after surgery for breast cancer with axillary dissection. Supportive Care in Cancer. 24(6), 2707-2715.
2. Alpozgen, Z.A., Ozdincler, R.A., Karanlik, H., Agaoglu, F.Y., Narin, A.N., (2016) Effectiveness of Pilates-based exercises on upper extremity disorders related with breast cancer treatment. Eur J of Cancer Care, doi: 10.1111/ecc.12532.
3. Banbury, J., Yetman, R., Lucas, A., Papay, F., Graves, K., Zins, J., (2004)Prospective Analysis of the Outcome of Subpectoral Breast Augmentation: Sensory Changes, Muscle Function, and Body Image. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 113(2), 701-707.
4. Blomqvist, L., Stark, B., Engler, N., Malm, M., (2003)Evaluation of arm and shoulder mobility and strength after modified radical mastectomy and radiotherapy. Acta Oncol, 280-283
5. Brookham, R., (2016) Comparison of humeral rotation co-activation of breast cancer population and healthy shoulders. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 29, 100-106.
6. Davies, C., Brockopp, D., Moe, K., (2016) Astym therapy improves function and range of motion following mastectomy. Breast Cancer, 8, 39-45.
7. Freire Oliveira, M.M., Ferreira Rezende, L., Pace Amaral, M.T., Pinto Silva, M.P., Morais, S.S., Costa Gurgel, M.S., (2014) Manual lymphatic drainage versus exercise in the early postoperative period for breast cancer. Physiother Theory Pract, 30(6), 384-389.
8. Gajbhiye, P.P., Deshpande, L., (2013) To compare the effects of Pilates exercises and Conventional therapy on Upper Extremity Function and Quality of Life in women with breast cancer. The Indian J of Occupational Therapy, 45(1)
9. Harris, S.R., Schmitz, K.H., Campbell, K.L. & McNeely, M.L. (2012) Clinical practice guidelines for breast cancer rehabilitation: syntheses of guideline recommendations and qualitative appraisals. Cancer, 118, 2312-2324.
10. Hidding JT, Beurskens CHG, van der Wees PJ, van Laarhoven HWM, Nijhuis-van der Sanden MWG (2014) Treatment Related Impairments in Arm and Shoulder in Patients with Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. PLoS ONE 9(5): e96748.
11. Lee, K.T., Mun, G.H., (2014).A systematic review of functional donor-site morbidity after latissimus dorsi muscle transfer, Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 134: 303.
12. Oskrochi, G., Lesaffre, E., Oskrochi, Y., Shamley, D., (2016) An Application of the Multivariate Linear Mixed Model to the Analysis of Shoulder Complexity in Breast Cancer Patients. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 13(3)E274
13. Shamley, D., Lascurain-Aguirrebena, I., (2014) Clinical Anatomy of the Shoulder After Treatment for Breast Cancer. Clinical Anatomy, 27:467–477
14. Smith, S., (2014). Functional morbidity following latissimus dorsi flap breast reconstruction. J Adv Pract Oncol, 5, 181–187.
15. Rosa Diaz, I. Torres Lacomba, M., Cerezo Tellez, E., Gomez-Rico, C.D., Gutierrez Ortega, C., (2017) J of Chiro Med, 16(1) 31-40.
16. Wilson, D., (2017) Exercise for the Patient after Breast Cancer Surgery. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 33(1), 98-105.
17. Winters-Stone, K., Schwartz, A., Hayes, S., Fabian, C., Campbell, K., (2012) A prosective model of care for breast cancer rehabilitation: Bone health and arthraligias. Cancer. 118(8). 2288-2299.